Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Larry Slotkin's Funeral

This past weekend Brett and I attended Larry Slotkin's funeral (my Aunt Debi's father).  My Dad and Aunt Lori came into town and so the four of us went to Costa Mesa to go support Debi, Amanda, and her family. I had known Larry for years from the many combined family gatherings, so I felt it was important to be there and represent.
This was the first Jewish funeral I have ever attended and I was very interested to see how it differed from a Christian funeral that I am familiar with.  The funeral was a very nice tribute and celebration to Larry.  Everyone that spoke did a nice job in sharing many memories of Larry.  My cousin Amanda had put together a little power point of all these pictures which was very nice to see.  She even added Frank Sinatra in the background because he would play Sinatra all the time.  At the end the 23rd Psalms was said followed by a prayer in Kaddish.
After the funeral and graveside, we went to the Slotkin residence and had a nice catered meal from Larry's favorite Italian restaurant.  The food was really good and the dessert was even better.  Even though funerals are a sad time, it's always nice to catch up with everyone and celebrate the life of that individual.  I would also like to add that I admire my Aunt Debi who was seriously the rock for her family during the final days of Larry.  She is a fantastic and lovely person!

Dad, Aunt Lori, and Uncle Jerry 

Someone thought we were models

My cousin Amanda and her beau Corby

My Aunt Debi with the flowers from the Carpenter family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment