Wednesday, June 26, 2013

First Dr's Visit and Ultrasound

Waiting two weeks to see the OB/GYN after finding out I was pregnant was torture.  I was anxious because I wanted to see what the fetus looked like and really wanted to make sure there was something still inside me.  I was also super excited to find out my exact due date.

On May 15th, Brett and I met with the Nurse Practitioner at St. Jude's Women's Health Center and  at first were told I was 8 weeks and due on Christmas Day!  Brett almost had a heart attack because Christmas is his favorite holiday and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want me to go in labor as he is opening his presents (he's a 12 year old at heart)! ;)  When we went to the ultrasound appointment, the date obviously changed.  They measured me at 6 weeks instead of 8 with a new date of January 8th, 2014. But, you never know when a baby will come...

The first ultrasound was such a neat experience for Brett and I.  It was hard to see what was what because the fetus was so tiny, but you could definitely tell there was a little baby forming.  My favorite part was seeing the heartbeat.  I honestly did not expect to see a heartbeat at 6 weeks, but there it was at 128 beats per minute and very healthy.  I could have stared at the screen forever, but after a good five minutes, they have to move on.  At least they let me keep have some pictures!


That afternoon and evening, Brett and I let our immediate family members know and every one of them was thrilled for us.  Of course I had to swear them to secrecy since I didn't want to be saying much in case something happened.  Now, that I am 12 weeks along, I feel I am more safe and am very happy to share the news with all!

2 comments: