Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 12 August 17, 2011- Rome, Italy

Going to Rome was one of those places that Brett and I have always dreamed of.  I knew we would only have a few hours because we were on a cruise. But, when I found out that six other ships had docked with at least 21,000 people coming off and with a total of 50,000 people visiting Rome, I  felt completely defeated!  I knew right then not to expect to see much and just to remember that this was a sampler so I could come back later.  
The port was about 70 minutes from Rome, so on our excursion, we took a private train into St. Peters Basilica.  It was a very enjoyable train ride regardless of how many people we would be running into.  No matter what, I was happy to be Rome.  We saw St. Peters, but were not able to get into the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel due to long lines.  Bummer!  We then waited for our city tour bus in 95 degree weather with at least a 100% humidity.  Let's just say, we were a sweaty mess and another bummer!  Our bus then took us around Rome until we got off near the Circus Maximus (where they held the chariot races).  From there, we walked by Palatine Hill, the Colosseum, and the Roman Forum.  (Remember, we couldn't get into anything which was definitely another bummer!)  After walking around in terrible weather, Brett and I decided that we were fine sitting in a cafe to eat and just stay cool until it was time to meet up with our leader.  Like I said earlier, we both knew that we will one day be back in Rome and when that time comes, we will spend at least four days to explore the city.  


St. Peters Guards

St. Peters Basilica























Roman Forum


Coliseum





Circus Maximus







Oldest building in Rome

This is where Julius Caesar was on trial


Gelato to cool us down...yum!  And I love strachitella!







No comments:

Post a Comment